The International Crisis Group (Crisis Group) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation, with some 135 staff members on five continents, working through field-based analysis and high-level advocacy to prevent and resolve deadly conflict. We are currently looking for a SENIOR ANALYST – BALKANS
Ideally based in Belgrade, and working closely with other members of the Balkans team, you will research and produce reports on security, conflict, political, governance, and social issues related to Serbia, Macedonia and Bosnia-Herzegovina, analysing long and short-term security challenges, and identifying ways of increasing the capacity and will of governments to cooperate on issues of internal and international security.
• Conduct extensive research into prevailing security, political and social conditions in Serbia, Macedonia and Bosnia-Herzegovina;
• Provide analysis and advice on key security issues facing the Western Balkans to promote stability and security;
• Prepare at least four detailed reports per year or the equivalent in briefing papers setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations;
• Carry out advocacy and media work to disseminate research findings and recommendations;
• Work closely and liaise with representatives of governments and international and local organisations in gathering information, seeking input and feedback, and supporting the distribution of Crisis Group reports and recommendations.
• Extensive knowledge of politics and society in the Western Balkans with minimum five years field experience in the region;
• Experience in foreign policy analysis and conflict prevention;
• At least seven years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism;
• Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
• Fluency in English and Serbo-Croatian with ability to do media work and conduct interviews in both languages;
• PhD or Masters degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, a strong capacity for effective teamwork, as well as the ability to work independently; and
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
• Experience in overseeing budgetary and administrative matters, and management of a field office
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter and contact details of at least 3 referees. In the cover letter, which should be sent as an e-mail, the candidate should briefly propose his or her own ideas on themes for one or two future Crisis Group reports or shorter briefing papers on Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina or Macedonia and briefly describe how she/he would research them (in no more than two pages). Please refer to Crisis Group's website for previous publications: http://www.crisisgroup.org.
Please send applications by email to email@example.com to the attention of Cydney Bunn, including "Balkans Senior Analyst" in the subject line. Please state how you heard about this opportunity.
The closing date for applications is 15 June 2008.