The United Nations Democracy Fund invites civil society organizations to apply for funding for projects to promote democracy.
Project proposals may be submitted on-line between 10 November 2007 and 31 December 2008 at www.un.org/democracyfund. This is the Third Round of Funding to be launched by UNDEF, which was established by the UN Secretary-General in 2005 as a United Nations General Trust Fund. UNDEF funds projects that strengthen the voice of civil society and ensure the participation of all groups in democratic processes.
The thematic categories for applications are:
– democratic dialogue and support for constitutional processes;
– civil society empowerment, including the empowerment of women;
– civic education and voter registration;
– citizen's access to information;
– participation rights and the rule of law in support of civil society;
– transparency and integrity.
Priority will be given to projects that enhance inclusiveness and gender equality.
UNDEF funding ranges from US $50,000 to US $500,000, though most projects approvals are in the mid-range. It is anticipated that the vast majority of applicants and short-listed project proposals will emanate from civil society organizations.
Only on-line applications in either English or French will be accepted. The application procedure is described in the Project Proposal Guidelines available at http://www.un.org/democracyfund/XProjectProposalGuidelines.htm.