The World Bank is one of the world’s largest sources of development assistance. Its primary focus is to help the poorest people and poorest countries. The World Bank works in more than 100 developing countries, bringing finance and technical expertise to help reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life.
Learn more at www.worldbank.org
The Cities Alliance is a global coalition of cities and their development partners committed to scaling up successful approaches to urban poverty reduction. The Alliance supports learning among cities of all sizes, and also among cities, governments, international development agencies and financial institutions.
Learn more at: www.citiesalliance.org
The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is providing financial support to the Essay Competition 2008.
Learn more at: www.norway.no
Today is your world! You are making a difference. Tell us what you can do to shape the city of your dreams.
Participate now and have your voice heard! The World Bank and its partners invite you to participate in the International Essay Competition 2008 and make your voice heard.
What can you do to shape the city of your dreams?
Please answer the three questions below:
1) Think about the city you live in. What are the biggest opportunities and challenges for people living there?
2) What needs to be done to transform your city into the city of your dreams?
3) What could be your role, working together with your peers, in shaping the city of your dreams?
Submission deadline is March 23, 2008
FIRST PLACE: $5,000
The best essays will be published.
– The deadline for submissions is March 23, 2008.
– Finalists will be announced on April 30, 2008.
– Each participant can only submit one essay.
– Participants must be between 18 and 25 years of age.
– Essays should not be longer than 10 pages (4,000 words maximum, 1.5 line-spaced).
– Essays can only be submitted online, in English, French, Spanish, Arabic or Portuguese.
– Each essay must be accompanied by an abstract (max. one page). The abstract will be used by the jury to make a pre-selection.
– Participants of previous editions of the Essay Competition are also encouraged to apply.
Questions? Send an email to email@example.com
Full details of topics, rules, awards, criteria, and the application process are available at www.essaycompetition.org